Recipe courtesy of Florida Tomato Commission.
2 pounds firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
13 round butter crackers
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and basil
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Sprinkle tomato wedges liberally with salt and let drain in a colander for 15 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and gently pat dry.
- While tomatoes drain, combine oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the tomatoes in a single layer. Arrange tomatoes in the dish, skin side down; drizzle oil mixture over them and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Put crackers in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add cheese and herbs to the crumbs and shake to combine. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- Bake the gratin in the upper third of the oven 12 to 15 minutes, until the crumb topping browns and the tomatoes are heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 293; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 964mg; Potassium: 373mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Tomato Commission.