Turkey Sausage and Wild Rice Dressing
Recipe kindly provided by Executive Chef Lee Forman of Lemoine's Restaurant, The Inn on Trout River in Montgomery Center, Vermont.
6 slices turkey bacon, cut into 1-inch slices
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
3/4 pound or 4 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
6 ounces wild rice, cooked and cooled
3 cups dry bread crumbs
3/4 pound turkey sausage, cooked and drained
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
3/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Over medium heat, sauté bacon until almost crisp. Remove and reserve.
- Melt butter and add onion, celery and mushrooms; continue cooking until vegetables are crisp.
- Combine bacon, vegetables, cooked wild rice, bread crumbs, cooked sausage and herbs. Gently mix well. Season to taste.
- Spoon dressing into lightly greased 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake, covered, at 325°F (160°C) for 45 to 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (73.8°C).
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 250; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 630mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.