Vegetable Mixed Grill
This recipe makes a great vegetarian entrée, super antipasto, or serve it with grilled steaks, chicken or seafood.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole Roma tomatoes, cut in half
1 whole yellow zucchini or patty pan squash, cut in half horizontally, lightly score flesh side
1 whole green zucchini, cut in half horizontally, lightly score flesh side
1 large red onion, cut into thick slices
1/2 pound Shiitake or button mushrooms, stems removed (about 8 mushrooms)
1 pound stalks asparagus, ends trimmed
1 large bell pepper, red or yellow, cut sides off into large slabs
2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley for garnish
- In bowl combine olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper.
- As different vegetables need different cooking times, fill skewers with only one kind of vegetable, for example one skewer of just tomatoes, one of just mushrooms etc. Asparagus, zucchini and onion need not be skewered.
- Place prepared skewers and vegetables in baking dish. Brush all vegetables liberally with balsamic oil mixture. Pour remaining balsamic mixture over vegetables. Let sit 10 to 20 minutes.
- Grill vegetables for 3 to 5 minutes each side on hot bbq or grill. Take care not to overcook vegetables.
- Remove vegetables from marinade. Save marinade for after grilling.
- Arrange vegetables on plate and drizzle with 1 ounce of remaining marinade. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. These are also great just at room temperature, if you want to do ahead.
Makes 2 vegetarian main dish, or 4 side dish servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.