Vegetable Stuffed Peppers
These vegetable, cheese and pinto bean stuffed bell peppers perform double-duty as either a hearty side dish or a satisfying meatless main dish.
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 green bell peppers
3 cups corn niblets
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut off tops of green peppers, leaving a hole about 2 inches in diameter and remove seeds and inner ribs. Immerse peppers in boiling water, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove peppers and place upside down on paper towels. Drain and cool.
- In a medium size bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide filling evenly among prepared peppers.
- Put filled peppers (filled side up) in a baking dish. Pour a little water into dish.
- Bake peppers in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.