Wild Rice and Cranberry Dressing
with Sausage and Almonds
Some of the steps for this dressing can be done the day ahead to save time, including cooking the wild rice. Serve along with a holiday roast, such as a rack of pork.
6 cups 1/2-inch cubes of day-old French bread
1/2 cup slivered almonds
3/4 pound Italian sausage
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crumbled
1 1/3 cups wild rice
4 to 6 cups chicken broth
1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon melted butter
Fresh rosemary (optional)
- Dry bread cubes in a 350°F (175°C) oven by spreading on a shallow baking pan and baking for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Toast almonds by spreading on a cookie sheet and baking in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
- Sauté sausage, onions, and herbs in a large skillet until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In large saucepan, combine wild rice with four cups chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain rice, reserving liquid.
- In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, almonds, sausage mixture, wild rice and cranberries; place in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Measure reserved broth and add enough additional broth to make three cups; drizzle over dressing.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 40 minutes, until heated through.
- Uncover, drizzle with melted butter and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.