Gorgonzola Crisp Potato Pancakes
Crispy, pan-fried grated potato, onion and parsley pancakes with creamy gorgonzola-filled centers.
4 large (2 1/2 pounds total) baking potatoes, washed but not peeled
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup onions, minced
1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin Gorgonzola, cut into 1/2 inch pieces placed in freezer to firm and chill completely
1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and shut off the heat. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature in the water.
- When cool, drain and peel the jackets off the potatoes. Using the course side of a cheese grater, grate the potatoes into a bowl. Add the melted butter, onion, parsley, salt and pepper and stir.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in an 8 inch non-stick pan. Add half the potato mixture and smooth down with the back of a spoon. Add the cold Gorgonzola slices and top with the remaining potatoes. Press and seal the edges with the back of a spoon.
- Over medium high heat cook the potatoes until lightly browned (2 to 3 minutes). Slide the pancake onto a plate and turn it over into the same pan. Brow the other side (2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly and then serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.