Swiss Cheese and Onion Potato Baskets
These crispy miniature shredded potato 'cups' are filled with a creamy mixture of sautéed onion, ham and Swiss cheese, and garnished with chives are sure to be a hit at your next party.
4 cups fresh shredded potatoes or frozen shredded hash browns
1/3 cup olive oil - divided use
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups diced sweet onions
4 ounces cured or smoked ham, diced
1/2 to 2/3 cup whipping cream
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Swiss cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- In a medium bowl, toss potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Press 1 tablespoon potato mixture into lightly greased mini-muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Gently remove potato baskets; place on a cookie sheet, then set aside. Repeat, making potato baskets with remaining potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining olive oil. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring often. Stir in ham and cream; cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add egg, cheese, chives, salt and pepper to ham mixture; mix well.
- Place 1 teaspoon mixture in each pre-baked potato basket.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Serve immediately, or freeze for later use.
Makes 48 potato baskets.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.