Bean and Bacon Soup
Bacon adds a lovely smokiness to this hearty bean soup. Try it on a cold blustery day to rewarm your bones.
1 pound dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
6 cups water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
4 strips bacon
2 onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight; drain and rinse.
- Add water, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp; remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan drippings; sauté until tender. Add to beans along with carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomato sauce and parsley. Cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving with reserved bacon crumbled on top.
Makes 8 servings.