Beer Cheese Chowder
This recipe was inspired by the beer cheese chowder at Mr. G's Supper Club, Jacksonport/Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1 cup chicken broth, boiling
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
8 ounces cooked Polish sausage, cubed
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup beer
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion, carrots and broccoli. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- In large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-high heat. Stir in flour, dry mustard and pepper. Add milk, stirring until thickened. Stir for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and stir in until smooth.
- Stir in vegetable mixture, sausage, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and beer. Heat to serving temperature.
- Top each serving with remaining cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.