Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
2 pounds mixed white fish fillets, skinned and cubed (e.g.: monkfish, conger eel, red mullet, cod, haddock)
6 ounces uncooked peeled prawns
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic,crushed
2 (14-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
2 cups fish or vegetable stock
1 large bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 to 2 drops original Tabasco® sauce
1 bouquet garni
Pinch of saffron threads
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, seasoning, Tabasco, bouquet garni and saffron. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cubes of firm fish (e.g.: monkfish, conger eel) and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the more delicate fish (e.g. mullet, cod, haddock) and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni and the bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with French bread, a continental salad and garlic mayonnaise, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.