Buffalo is lower in fat and cholesterol than most cuts of beef or chicken. Try it in this terrific tasting bowl of red made in the way of chili-competing enthusiasts—without beans.
Chili Seasoning Mix:
1/3 cup Gebhardt brand chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
1 bay leaf
2 pounds coarsely ground buffalo
1 large yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (7-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 teaspoon brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 (12-ounce) bottle or can lager beer
- For Chili Seasoning Mix: In small bowl combine all ingredients; set aside.
- For Chili: Heat the oil in a large cooking pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the buffalo and cook until nicely browned.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened.
- Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Immediately stir in the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, brown sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, Tabasco sauce and the beer.
- Bring chili to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours, removing lid last 30 minutes of cooking time to thicken chili, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.