Burgundy Beef Stew
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, sirloin tip, or top round, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (13.75 to 14.5-ounce) can beef broth
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
1 cup frozen whole pearl onions
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1 (8-ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Brown beef in batches; pour off drippings.
- Return beef to pan; season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in broth, wine and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Stir in carrots and onions; continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in sugar snap peas. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.