Cabbage and Cheese Soup
This incredibly delicious baked cabbage and cheese soup was created by Chef Roberto Donna.
1 pound savoy cabbage
1 quart beef stock
2 mild Italian sausages (1/2 pound)
8 ounces aged cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons butter
6 slices country bread (about 1/2-inch thick), cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Clean and wash the cabbage leaves. Cook in boiling water 5 minutes or until limp. Drain well and julienne the leaves. Set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, bring the beef stock to a boil with the sausages. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Remove from the stock and cut into thin slices. Set aside.
- Cut the cheddar cheese into thin slices. Set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- In an oven-proof casserole (preferably terracotta), arrange 3 of the bread slices. Layer with the cabbage, sausage, cheese, and remaining bread. Drizzle the top layer of the bread with melted butter. Gently pour the boiled stock over the top.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until the top bread layer is crisp and the soup is thoroughly heated. Spoon into soup bowls. Season to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.