Calabaza Soup with Limburger Cheese
This recipe for calabaza soup with Limburger cheese was created by Chef Guillermo Pernot.
2 pound calabaza or butternut squash, peeled, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 Spanish onion, chopped
11/2 quarts rich chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 slices Limburger cheese, 1/4 inch thick, at room temperature
3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
2 teaspoons pumpkin seed oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a shallow baking pan, toss the squash with the oil and salt. Roast 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a soup pot, combine the squash, onions, and chicken stock. Simmer until onions are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. If too thick, add additional chicken stock. Adjust the seasonings and add the cream.
- Serve hot in soup bowls. Top each serving with a cheese slice, pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of oil. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.