Cheddar Potato Soup with Bacon
A flavorful cheddar cheese, onion and potato soup served topped with crisp, crumbled bacon.
4 bacon slices, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- Cook onion in reserved fat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the flour, cook for 1 minute stirring constantly and then add the chicken broth, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender.
- Add wine and simmer 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in cheese (do not let boil).
- To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with bacon.
Makes 4 servings.