Cheesy Bean Soup
Cheese boosts the flavor and nutrition of bean soup without breaking the budget. Almost a meal by itself, simply add a salad and/or seasonal fruit, some hot bread and a beverage for a complete and comforting meal.
2 cups dried navy beans
7 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Wisconsin Aged Cheddar cheese, cubed
- Wash beans; cover with 4 cups of water and soak overnight. Next day, drain beans and add 7 cups water and salt. Simmer over low heat for about 3 hours.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and sugar. Blend in thyme, oregano, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce.
- Combine tomato mixture with beans during the last hour of cooking time.
- When beans are tender, add cheese cubes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.