Chef David Vaughan’s Veggie Chili
Chef David Vaughn's delicious vegetarian chili is sure to satisfy the heartiest appetites.
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups diced carrots
2 large onions
1/2 stalk celery, medium dice
4 large Idaho® potatoes, medium dice
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 green bell peppers, medium dice
2 red bell peppers, medium dice
2 orange bell peppers, medium dice
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 quart water
1 quart V8 tomato juice
1 quart tomato sauce (28 ounces)
1 (16-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Mix butter, diced carrots, diced onions, diced celery and diced potatoes; sauté for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper; continue to cook 3 to 5 minutes to bring out the spice.
- Add tomato paste, diced bell peppers and diced tomatoes; simmer about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix water, V8 juice, tomato sauce and beans in a large cooking pot; rinse tomato sauce can out with water and dump into the pot.
- Mix in sautéed vegetables and cook for 45 minutes to an hour until vegetables are done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; thicken with starch if desired.
Makes 10 servings.
Tip: For thicker chili, dissolve about 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch with a small amount of water in a cup and add to the chili at the end of cooking time, and continue cooking just until thickened.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.