Chili Mole-Style with Pepper Jack
A spicy ground turkey chili and beans 'mole-style', made with a hint of chocolate and served topped with shredded pepper Jack cheese.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 1/4 ounces dry chili seasoning
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 (10-ounce) can beef broth
1 cup water
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
Hot pepper sauce (optional)
2 2/3 cups shredded Wisconsin Monterey Pepper Jack Cheese
- In heavy 4-quart pot, heat olive. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add turkey. Increase heat to medium high. Cook stirring, until turkey is no longer pink.
- Mix in chili seasoning. Add tomatoes, broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans, sugar, vinegar, and chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts and simmer additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Ladle chili into 8 bowls and top each with 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Pepper Jack Cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.