Chilled Cucumber Soup
There's just something very refreshing about cucumbers in both taste and aroma. This soup is perfect for a hot summer night when you don't want a big meal.
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
5 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Fresh mint, for garnish
- Add the oil and onion to a large pan and sauté for approximately 10 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add the cucumber and cook until cucumber is tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and carefully blend until smooth. (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!)
- Return the puréed mixture to the pot and add the stock and cream. Over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until well chilled.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.