Chunky Smoked Haddock Chowder
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
1 pound smoked haddock or cod, skinned and cubed
2 tablespoons butter
3 shallots, chopped
4 slices bacon, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 pound broccoli florets
1 pound turnips, peeled and cubed
2/3 cup créme fraîche
1 small French baguette
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces Gruyére cheese, shredded
- Preheat butter in a large pan. Add shallots and bacon and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, broccoli and turnip. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add fish and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the créme fraîche and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread the sliced bread with the mustard and top with the shredded cheese. Broil 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Serve chowder hot with a few slices of the bread.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Chowder can be puréed and frozen up to 4 weeks.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.