Country Kitchen Soup
This Southern-style, gumbo-like soup will feed eight hungry souls—and leftovers just get better in the refrigerator overnight. Serve with cornbread.
1 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1 (1-ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups boiling water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
Dash red pepper sauce
1 (10-ounce) package sliced okra, frozen
- In Dutch oven, brown pork in hot oil over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, soup mix, sugar, salt, pepper, water and bouillon cubes and mix well. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, oregano and a dash hot pepper sauce. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes.
- Gently stir in okra the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve with crackers or corn bread, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.