Creamy Potato and Bacon Chowder
A hot and hearty potato and bacon chowder with Swiss cheese.
4 ounces bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 celery rib, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 medium baking potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken base or bouillon granules
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot. Add onion, carrot, celery, green onions, garlic, seasoned salt, black pepper and white pepper. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes to pan and cook, stirring constantly, until edges begin to brown.
- Add butter to pot and melt. Sprinkle flour over the top and cook until flour turns golden, stirring constantly (but gently so that potatoes don't break up too much).
- Whisk together cream and water. Pour into pot in a slow, steady stream while whisking. Stir in chicken base and reserved bacon. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
Makes 6 servings.