Creamy Tomato Vegetable Soup
Recipe courtesy of California Ripe Olives.
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup (4 ounces) diced zucchini (1/2-inch dice)
1 cup (4 ounces) diced yellow squash (1/2-inch dice)
1 cup California Ripe Olives, quartered
1 cup (4 ounces) chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 slices French bread baguette
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a medium sauté pan heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until tender, but not browned. Stir in California Ripe Olives and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 more minutes.
- Pour in tomatoes, chicken stock, 1/3 cup of basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, transfer to a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Return to saucepot, mix in vegetables and set over a low burner until heated through. Place baguette slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Top with cheese. Cook under a broiler for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with a melted cheese croutons and garnish with remaining basil.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Ripe Olives.