Creole Shrimp Stew
Spicy Creole shrimp stew with bacon, celery, onion, bell pepper, green onions, tomato, lemon juice, parsley and cayenne pepper.
1/3 cup bacon, chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 celery ribs, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1 cup tomato paste
5 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cook chopped bacon in a large, heavy pan over medium heat until crisp.
- Blend in flour and cook until brown.
- Add chopped celery ribs, chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper, and chopped green onions. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Blend in tomato paste, water, lemon juice, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer very slowly, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add shelled, deveined shrimp and chopped parsley. Continue to cook over low heat, just until the shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.