Crockpot Chinese Chicken Stew
Start this savory Chinese chicken stew in the morning and when you get home from a busy day, dinner will be ready.
1 pound chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth - divided use
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment (optional)
- Toss chicken with five-spice powder in small bowl. Season with red pepper flakes.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and chicken; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink or juices run clear.
- Combine 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch in small bowl; set aside.
- Place cooked chicken mixture, remaining broth, bell pepper, and soy sauce in crockpot or slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until peppers are tender.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture, sesame oil, and green onions. Cook 30 to 45 minutes or until liquid has thickened.
- Ladle into soup bowls; scoop 1/2 cup rice into each bowl, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.