Easy Sausage Paella
This recipe won Marilou Robinson of Portland, Oregon Honorable Mention in the 1996 National Sausage Month Contest of Award-Winning Recipes.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and cut in thin strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded, diced
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken stock or broth (2 cups)
2 cups uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon saffron (or turmeric)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 pound fully-cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, halved if large
1/2 pound large raw shrimp, cleaned
1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in heavy large skilled with a tight fitting lid; add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Sauté on medium until onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, stir and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat chicken stock and saffron to boiling. Add to rice and bring back to boil.
- Add sausage and artichoke hearts; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, arrange cooked shrimp around edges of skillet and peas in center. Cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes until shrimp is pink.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Council Hint: Recipe also works well with smoked bratwurst.
Recipe provided courtesy National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.