Florida Tomato Orange Soup
Recipe courtesy of Florida Tomato Commission.
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups diced sweet onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 pounds fully ripened tomatoes, in large dice (about 5 cups) - divided use
1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, then 2 1/2 cups tomatoes.
- Stirring continuously, add broth and orange juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cool slightly.
- Pour half the soup into the container of an electric blender or food processor; cover and whirl until smooth; return to saucepan.
- Stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups tomato. Heat contents over medium heat for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 173; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 21mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 695mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Tomato Commission.