French Onion Soup
A classic soup that is easy to make and absolutely delicious.
4 large yellow or Vidalia onions, sliced
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 quarts beef broth
1/2 cup brandy (optional)
1 French baguette sliced and toasted
Swiss cheese, either Emmentaler or Gruyère
- Slice 4 large yellow onions, using a tight thin slice.
- In a large Dutch add enough oil to coat the pan and then add the onions. Cook them over medium heat for 12 minutes, until they're tender and golden. Stir often.
- Add brandy if you like and let the alcohol burn off.
- Next add sugar and beef broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl.
- Place a slice of baguette on top.
- Cover with shredded Gruyère and place slices of Emmentaler over.
- Place the bowls on a baking pan and broil until the cheese is melted.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.