Garden Noodle Soup
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
12 ounces medium or thin egg noodles, uncooked
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
3 (14.5-ounce) cans low-sodium vegetable, chicken or beef broth
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
2 (12-ounce) cans white cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion, stirring until pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots and celery and sauté until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reserved juice, broth, water, oregano, basil, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cooked noodles.
- Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle some of the Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley on each serving of soup, or stir into saucepan prior to serving. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.