Hearty Pork Vegetable Stew
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.
2 to 3 pounds pork shoulder, shank or pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) bottle ale or dark beer (room temperature)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans beef broth
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup strong coffee
2 carrots, sliced
1 head fennel, cleaned and sliced
4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- In large heavy pot with lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes and brown about 6 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender (about 4 to 5 minutes.)
- Add flour, allspice, and black pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ale, broth, vinegar and coffee. Bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in vegetables. Cover and continue to simmer 30 additional minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.