Peanut Butter Soup
A Southern classic—savory cream of peanut butter soup.
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped onion
3/4 cup water
2 teaspoons chicken base or granules (or 2 bouillon cubes)
2 cups water - divided use
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
Chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken base or granules and 1 1/2 cups water; cook, uncovered, until base dissolves.
- Pour mixture into container of an electric blender (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender. Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!), and add peanut butter and pepper; process until mixture is smooth. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup water, stirring until blended; stir into soup mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook 1 minute. Stir in half-and-half (light cream); cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. If desired, garnish individual servings with chopped peanuts.
Makes 4 servings.