Potage St. Germain
An elegant and delicious French version of split pea soup.
Note: This soup must simmer for at least 2 hours prior to being served.
1 1/2 pounds split green peas, picked over, rinsed
3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
4 tablespoons butter
4 carrots, peeled and grated
2 onions, finely chopped
1 leek rib, cleaned and finely chopped
3/4 cup chopped lettuce
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups loose-pack frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
- Place l 1/2 pounds dry peas in a large stockpot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Skim the surface of foam.
- Meanwhile melt butter in skillet; sauté 4 grated carrots and 2 finely chopped onions until tender and browned. Add 1 finely chopped leek rib and chopped lettuce; simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the soup; add sugar and salt. Continue simmering until the green split peas are tender, about 2 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving add 2 cups peas (1 cup at a time) to a blender or food processor; star motor and slowly pour in 1/2 cup soup from the stockpot. Purée until smooth.
- Return pea mixture to the stockpot; stir in cream and milk. Heat thoroughly, add butter, stir and serve.
Makes 12 servings.