Rosy Strawberry Soup
A spring or summertime delight! This cinnamon-scented strawberry and red wine cream soup makes a perfect starter or dessert course for a special meal.
1 (20-ounce) package frozen strawberries
2 cups red wine
2 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
- In a deep stainless steel saucepan (the mixture will discolor aluminum), combine frozen strawberries (thawed), red wine, water, and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Press the strawberry mixture through a sieve, and return saucepan; discarding the seeds.
- In a bowl combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the strawberry mixture; stirring well.
- Bring strawberry liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Chill for 6 to 8 hours. Whip cream to soft peaks and drizzle in the soup, swirling in with a knife.
Makes 5 servings.