Smoky Chicken Callaloo Soup
A hearty Caribbean soup with smoked bacon, chicken, okra, fresh spinach and lemon.
1/2 pound uncooked smoked bacon, finely chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound okra, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
6 cups chicken broth
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until lightly crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and continue to sauté until chicken is golden and cooked through, about 7 more minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and thyme. Mix well and continue to cook until onion is soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add okra and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until okra is bright green and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir well. Simmer until spinach is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with warm French bread or corn bread.
Makes 6 servings.