Strawberry Sorbet Soup and Pound Cake Croutons
This elegant and beautiful fruit soup makes a delightfully refreshing spring or summertime dessert.
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 (8-ouince) container strawberry low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup chopped peeled mango
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
3 (8-ounce) containers strawberry low-fat yogurt
1 cup low-fat pound cake (1/2-inch cubes)
1 cup sliced strawberries
8 mint sprigs (optional)
- For Sorbet: Drain strawberries, reserving 1 cup juice. Combine drained strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and 1 carton yogurt in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish; cover and freeze until firm, stirring occasionally.
- For Soup: Combine reserved strawberry juice and 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Let cool slightly. Combine juice mixture, 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, mango, pineapple, and 3 cartons yogurt in a blender; process until smooth. Pour into a bowl; cover and chill.
- For Cake Croutons: Place pound cake cubes on a baking sheet; broil 1 minute or until toasted, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- To Serve: Spoon 3/4 cup soup in each of 8 small bowls; top each with 1/4 cup sorbet, 2 tablespoons cake cubes and 2 tablespoons sliced strawberries. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: For the sorbet, substitute 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries for the 2 (10 ounce) packages of frozen, if desired. Combine strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; stir well. Let stand 1 hour; drain, reserving juice. Add drained strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 carton yogurt to blender; process until smooth.
Recipe provided courtesy California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.