Summer Vegetable Ragout
This dish is only as good as the vegetables you use in it.
4 to 6 cups of cut-up vegetables: (Choose at least four varieties.)
Asparagus, snap peas, green beans, fava beans, wax beans, peas, bok choy, Swiss chard (leaves and stems cooked separately), celery, shallots, leeks (white parts only), zucchini, yellow squash, pattypan squash, carrots
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 ounces prosciutto (optional), cut into 4 pieces
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as tarragon, chervil thyme, parsley and chives)
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup vegetable sprouts (such as broccoli, radish, or alfalfa)
- Clean, trim and cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook each vegetable separately in boiling, salted water until tender. Then refresh in cold water and drain. Combine them in a bowl.
- Boil half an inch of water in a medium pan. Reduce heat to medium low and whisk in the butter a little a time.
- Mix in the prosciutto and the cooked vegetables, coating with butter.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper, cherry tomatoes and radishes, and simmer until the vegetables are just heated through.
- Divide among four bowls.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Men's Health Magazine.