Sweet Potato Country Soup
A hearty, multi-cultural-spiced purée of sweet potato soup.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups fresh sweet potatoes; washed and cubed
1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup peeled. seeded and chopped tomatoes or 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil; sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sweet potatoes, chicken broth and spices. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, green pepper and garbanzo beans; simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Carefully, in small batches, turn into container for food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Return to pot and stir in soy sauce and lemon juice; heat through.
- Top individual servings with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.