Sweet Potato Rosemary Soup
A savory sweet potato soup rich in broth and fresh herbs.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, pared and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and ground white pepper
- In a large soup pot heat oil and sauté onion 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add diced sweet potatoes and sliced carrots to pot with garlic. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in broth and fresh herbs.
- Add diced apples to soup and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are all tender.
- Purée in the bowl of food processor in batches. Stir in cream. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 205; Protein 5 g; Carbohydrates 25 g; (49% calories from Carbs); Total Fat 10 g; (41% calories from fat); Dietary Fiber 4 g; Vitamin A 1814 RE; Vitamin C 20mg; Vitamin E 1 mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.