Tomato Cheese Soup
A superb cream of tomato soup, with oven-roasted tomatoes, celery, garlic and red bell pepper, sautéed onions and mushrooms, herbs and cream cheese.
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 pound mushroom, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 cups beef broth
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place whole tomatoes (undrained) in a buttered baking dish. Add chopped celery ribs, crushed garlic cloves, and sliced red bell pepper.
- Cover and bake in a 325°F (160°C) oven for 25 minutes.
- Sauté chopped mushrooms and chopped onion in butter in a large kettle. While stirring, slowly add flour and sugar, blending until mixture is smooth. Add beef broth basil, rosemary, and thyme; stir until the soup comes to a boil.
- Add the contents of the baked dish to the kettle. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend cream cheese, salt, and pepper until smooth. Slowly stir the cream cheese mixture into the soup.
Makes 10 servings.