Vegetarian Onion Soup
The long and slow method of caramelizing the onions is the key to making delicious an onion soup with incredible rich flavor.
9 medium onions, peeled and sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups water
4 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
French bread, sliced and toasted
- Sauté, over low heat, the onions in oil and margarine until volume decreases by a third.
- Add flour and seasonings to onions and stir well. Continue to sauté over low heat until onions turn a rich golden color, about 1 hour or more. (This process of caramelizing the onions is what gives the soup its flavor and cannot be rushed.)
- Combine water, vegetable bouillon, tomato paste and vinegar in separate bowl.
- Add liquids to onions slowly, stirring constantly. Simmer soup for about 30 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls with toasted French bread on top.
Makes 4 servings.