West Indies Pepper Pot Soup
A hearty pepper and meat soup pot loaded with salt-pork, spareribs, stewing beef, and a huge variety vegetables.
1/4 pound salt pork
1 1/2 pounds spareribs
1 1/2 pounds stew beef, diced
12 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 bunch kale, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine salt pork and spareribs; brown ribs on all sides. Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Pour in water and slowly bring to a boil, skimming the surface occasionally. Add thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, occasionally skimming the surface.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic and green onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- When meat has cooked for 1 hour, add onion mixture, spinach, kale, potato and tomato. Continue to cook slowly, covered, for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables and meat are cooked thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and remove ribs from pot. Trim off meat, discarding the bones, and cut off any fat. Cube meat and return to pot. Cook a few minutes more to heat through and serve hot.
Makes 12 servings.