Ants Hiding in a Log from the Anteater
Kids will love this healthy snack, a good source of phosphorus, protein, vitamin B1 (thiamin) and calcium.
Recipe Ingredients:2 slices of enriched white or whole wheat bread
4 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
1/4 cup raisins, unpacked (the ants)
- Remove crusts from the bread.
- Spread half the cream cheese on each slice.
- Cut each slice into 3 strips (logs).
- Place 15 to 20 raisins in a line on two strips. Stack the two strips together, cheese and "ants" side up. Place the third strip on top to form a triple-decker. You now have ants hiding in a log from the anteater.
- Feed them to your little "anteaters."
Nutrition information per serving: 150 calories, 1.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g monounsaturated fat, 0 g polyunsaturated fat, 300 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 g added sugar, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein, 270 IU vitamin A, 0.5 mg vitamin C, 0 mg vitamin E, 105 mg calcium, 1.2 mg iron, 200 mg potassium, 10 mg magnesium, 150 mg phosphorus, 10 mg vitamin B1 (thiamin).
Recipe provided courtesy of the Grain Foods Foundation.