Avocado Egg Rolls
Egg roll wrappers, filled with a mixture of shredded cabbage, bean sprouts and avocado, are deep-fried and served with a seasoned soy/ginger sauce.
1 (10-ounce) package shredded cabbage
1 (8-ounce) container fresh bean sprouts, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup lime juice
3 large ripe avocados, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 (16-ounce) package egg roll wrappers
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Sauté first 3 ingredients in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a skillet until tender. Stir in cumin and next 3 ingredients. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, and cool. Fold in avocado.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons mixture into center of each egg roll wrapper; moisten edges with water. Fold bottom side over filling; fold left and right sides over filling, and roll up tight.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Fry egg rolls 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Cut diagonally to serve.
- Combine soy sauce, ginger, and cilantro; serve with egg rolls.
Makes 15 egg rolls.