Baked Chile Cheese Spread
A finalist in the 2002 Ortega® “Create a Fiesta, Win a Siesta!” Contest, this dish was submitted by Lisa Carr of Cedaredge, Colorado. This spread is a delightful blend of chiles, salsa, cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions for a delicious and mildly spicy dip. Served with tortilla chips, it's guaranteed to be a hit at any family gathering.
2 tablespoons ALBERS Yellow Corn Meal
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (4-ounce) cans ORTEGA® Diced Green Chiles
1 cup (about 8) sliced green onions, divided use
1 (16-ounce) jar ORTEGA Mild Salsa, or any flavor - divided use
2 cups (8-ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
Garnish: tortilla chips, assorted crackers and/or sliced baguette
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Heavily grease bottom and side of 9-inch springform pan. Combine corn meal and chili powder; sprinkle over bottom and side of prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese, eggs, garlic powder, and cumin in large mixer bowl until smooth; stir in chiles and 1/2 cup green onion. Pour half of batter into pan.
- Spoon 1 cup salsa over top of batter; sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese over salsa. Spread remaining batter over top of cheese.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack; remove side of springform pan.
- Spread remaining salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 24 appetizer servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe): Calories: 160 Calories from Fat: 120 Total Fat: 14 g Saturated Fat: 8 g Cholesterol: 60 mg Sodium: 230 mg Carbohydrates: 4 g Dietary Fiber: .5 g Sugars: 1 g Protein: 6 g
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® & Meals.com, used with permission.