Baked Cranberry Brie
A festive and elegant appetizer, perfect for the holidays or when you want to make any occasion just a bit more special.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) 4-inch diameter round Brie cheese with the rind intact*
3 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce (or use your favorite preserves such as apricot or cherry)
2 tablespoons chopped almonds, pecansj or hazelnuts, toasted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
Apple or pear slices
- In a large mixing bowl, beat flour, butter and cream cheese at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture is blended and forms into dough. Divide pastry dough in half; form into balls and wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
- Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll each pastry ball out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut each into 8-inch circles (use excess pastry dough to decorate).
- Place 1 pastry circle on an ungreased baking sheet. Place Brie on center and spread cranberry sauce over top of Brie cheese; sprinkle with toasted nuts.
- Top with other pastry circle. Pinch edges of pastry to seal and flute edges. If desired, decorate top cut-out shapes formed from the excess pastry dough.
- For Egg Wash: Beat egg with water in small bowl and brush the top and sides of pastry.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet immediately. Let stand 30 minutes to allow cheese to set.
- Serve with apple or pear slices and crackers.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*The rind is edible and helps to keep its shape in the pastry.
Tip: Toast nuts in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat until golden and fragrant.