Beef Pops with Grainy Mustard Sauce
Each beef skewer is a luscious mouthful of perfectly grilled, tender steak and a plump grape tomato served with a tangy, herb-flecked mustard sauce for dipping. Canola oil is used in both the marinade and sauce to balance their textures and flavors healthfully. It is an appetizer that is as delicious and easy to make as it is impressive to serve.
Recipe by Ellie Krieger, a best-selling author and renowned registered dietitian.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence or dried thyme
1/2 pound sirloin steak
24 grape tomatoes, halved
Canola oil cooking spray
3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For Marinade: In medium bowl, whisk together canola oil and vinegar until combined. Stir in shallots and Herbs de Provence or thyme.
- Cut steak into 3/4-inch cubes. Add meat to marinade, cover and marinate up to 15 minutes at room temperature or up to 2 hours in refrigerator. Remove meat and discard remaining marinade. Meanwhile, soak 24 bamboo skewers (6-inches long) in water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Place one tomato half and then one piece of beef and then one tomato half on end of each skewer. Skewers may be made up to day ahead and stored in refrigerator in airtight container.
- Spray grill or large grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Place beef skewers on grill and cook 4 minutes for medium to medium rare, turning once. Do this in two to three batches if using grill pan.
- For Sauce: In small bowl, whisk together mustard and canola oil until combined. Stir in parsley and pepper. Sauce will keep in refrigerator in airtight contain for up to three days.
- To Serve: Arrange skewers on platter with small bowl of sauce for dipping. Sprinkle with additional parsley to garnish.
Makes 8 servings (24 skewers).
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; 3 skewers; 1 teaspoon Dijon sauce): Calories: 90; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 75mg; Carbohydrates: 1g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 6g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.