Bite-Sized Corn Bits
These are unique, delicious tamale-style nuggets. Serve with the Cumin-Lime Dipping Sauce, guacamole, or salsa. They may be too delicate for wooden picks so encourage your guests that these are definitely "finger food".
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (or preferably fresh)
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stoneground
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons buttermilk or plain yogurt
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Guacamole for accompaniment (optional)
Lotsa Salsa for accompaniment (optional)
Cumin-Lime Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Salt to taste
- Place the corn kernels in a food processor and process in short pulses until coarsely chopped, about 6 pulses. Add the cornmeal, sugar, cumin, and buttermilk or yogurt. Pulse again to combine, about 6 pulses.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, Jack cheese and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut a large piece of cheesecloth into eight 5-inch squares. Place 2 tablespoons of the corn mixture into the center of each square. Fold the sides over the filling then fold down the top and roll over to make a seam underneath.
- Fit a large pot with a steamer basket. Add enough water to come up to the base of the steamer. Place the packets in the steamer, seam side down. Cover and bring the water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and steam until the cornmeal filling is set, about 1 hour.
Check the water level often to make sure there's enough water to keep the pan from burning. Remove the packets with tongs, and let cool before unwrapping.
- For Cumin-Lime Dipping Sauce: In a medium mixing bowl, combine sour cream, lime juice, cumin, and salt. Whisk together to blend.
- To serve pour the dipping sauce into a small bowl. Place the bowl in the center of a large plate. Arrange the nuggets around the bowl.
Makes 16 nuggets, serves 6 to 8 people.