Serve these tasty cheese straws as an appetizer or as an accompaniment with soup or salad.
4 cups (about 1 pound) grated aged cheddar cheese
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, softened
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the cheese and the butter; process well. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until dough forms. Add water, if necessary. Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- On a clean countertop or cutting board, use your fingers to gently roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a rope. When it is 8 to 10 inches long, cut it in half and continue rolling each rope until it is 6 to 8 inches long. Twist both ropes together, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until set and starting to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack; serve with your choice of a dip.
Makes 64 cheese straws.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.