Corned Beef Rye Puffs
Miniature pastry puffs filled with a savory corned beef filling.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rye flour
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 large eggs, beaten
Corned Beef Filling:
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 (2.5-ounce) packages thinly sliced cooked corned beef, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons minced chives
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 teaspoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
10 green stuffed olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl combine flours, parsley, garlic powder and salt; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour mixture all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms.
- Remove from heat; beat in eggs all at one time, beating until smooth.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire racks and immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool.
- For filling, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Stir in olives. Split puffs; spoon in filling. Refrigerate.
Makes 4 1/2 dozen appetizers.