Deviled Ham Puffs
A flavorful deviled ham and egg mixture is combined with chunks of bread and baked until puffy and golden brown. Serve cut in small squares.
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 (4.5-ounce) can deviled ham
8 slices white bread, crusts removed
8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon chopped pimento
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
- Grease shallow baking dish or 2-quart casserole well.
- Blend pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce with deviled ham. Spread evenly onto each slice of bread. Cut bread into 1-inch squares.
- Place layer of bread in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat.
- Blend eggs, milk, pimento, salt and pepper; pour over bread and cheese.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes.
Makes 12 to 16 appetizer servings.